To The Ends of the Earth...

Monday, October 13, 2008

I Am Not American

I am not American- or so I have been told recently. When people say things like this, I don't react right away but wait for the explanation to follow. I'm never really sure just what they mean. So after Nargiza, very matter-of-factly, said I wasn't American, and then repeated herself, I really wasn't sure where she was going with it. After spending two weeks, traveling and rooming together for the conference, this had been her conclusion. Well, turns out it was a compliment. I am not American because I share my stuff- I give other people my things to use, clothes to wear, etc. For me, its not a conscious thing, if someone needs something like a sweatshirt or a comfy pair of flip flops, or asks to use my hairdryer, I usually do not have a problem lending out what I have. She later asked me why I was like this, after again stating I was not American. I thought for a moment- why is this not what other Americans are like? and then went on to tell her that this was how I was brought up. My dad is a very giving person. Sometimes gives more than he can. In my family, we shared a lot growing up, we were given stuff, we gave stuff. Its just how it was. Also, I am of the mindset that really nothing I have is "mine", it all belongs to the One who has given it to me- so why not share it with others.
Though this situation bothered me a little. Not that being called un-American bothered me-for this reason; but the fact that she has lived with other American young women, and why was this not an experience she had with them? Why, when we have such an example of how to give from someone who gave His all for us, are we not giving people- much less sharing people? So I am glad to be a sharing , giving person- and if it makes me 'not American' than so be it; but I wish that it was a character trait among those others here. Not that America needs to have such a good reputation, but the One we are here representing
.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being called un-American is kinda cool and very sad at the same time. Keep up all the good work you are doing and being a great example of what us Americans are all about.

11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home