To The Ends of the Earth...

Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Still Single

So, one of the most popular questions about my time in the States- is not about the price of gas (which was a popular question in the States regarding life here), but- did I meet anyone? And of course the answer is-no. The sarcastic side of me wants to say- I've lived there for 27 years w/o a purposal and you think I'm going to meet some prince charming and be swept off my feet in two months? I'd have a better chance of winning the NYS lotto.
As some of us sat around the table discussing my lack of a fairy tale romance, I was also asked if my family asks me about it- and I replied -no. My parents don't ask nor am I pressured to find someone- which I very much appreciate! At that I think I sensed some envy. Chika then told how his parents are often asking him and are actually planning for him to be married next August- he doesn't even have a girlfirend!! Pressure I am glad not to have.
Then during our conference, we decided to post our names, email, phone#, and bdays so wecould stay in better touch- have more unity and fellowship among us. As I scrolled down the list, I noticed how many were born about the time or after I was going to kindergarten, and I wrote my info down. Luckily, I do have the benefit of looking younger than I am- not that 29 should look old, but when the facts are out for all to see (as was my 1979 bday) I thought something might be said- and I was right. One of the guys whom I noticed was born in the same year but is married with a family, asked me why I wasn't married yet? At this question, my mind is always flooded with a bizillion answers- it's just choosing which one-
*no one ever asked *you're asking the wrong person- ask the guys *I was only 2yrs at Bble college *Gd called me to missions *Guys who want to serve in central Asia, as oppsed to a church in America are hard to find *I choose to put His will first in my life.....
But I replied- Gd has not given me a husband. I think some people believe that significant others grow on trees and all you have to do is pick one. Well maybe in the game of LIFE you can just stop at the stop sign next to the chapel and stick the opposite color peg in your car- but that's not how reality (or G) works. Being single is a gift from Him, and I am glad b/c I would not have been able to do as much as I have if I had a husband and family to care for. Until he chooses to change the situation I am quite content with my present status.
So it leads me to ask- why isn't singleness celebrated? Why must it be seen as a problem to be cured by marriage? And sometimes the biggest frustration for singles comes from the chch and other Xtians- whose only encouragement is to get married.

3 Comments:

Blogger SBAG said...

Lol... Ah this all sounds so familiar. Keep fighting the good fight! In general, you don't have to explain yourself. Just ask, "What would happen if I got married? How would things be different? Would it actually get better for YOU? Why?"
Basically just keep asking them questions, and help them formulate the right answers. It's a well-used technique (by some of the greatest people!) to help the stubborn understand alternate viewpoints.

6:07 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Amen sister!

BTW I had no idea you were my age:-) I thought you were much younger than me.

I love my friends and greatly support their marriages, but through their relationships God has allowed me to see that a spouse is not the answer to everything.

I am currently reading the most amazing book “Lady in Waiting” by Debby Jones and Jackie Kendall which contains the following quotation by Elisabeth Elliot;

“Marriage teaches us that even the most intimate human companionship cannot satisfy the deepest places of the heart. Our hearts are lonely until they rest in Him.”

9:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are a great catch. I never knew why you were single. You may know this, but there certainly were people interested in you. That does not mean they would be a good match. Gd has a plan for all of us. Be glad you did not force your plan info the situation.

2:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home