To The Ends of the Earth...

Sunday, September 07, 2008

Тараканы!!!

Ok, so there were some surprises upon my return to Kstan, mostly good news, nothing too big of a deal; but then a surprise that I could have done without. I walked into the kitchen and looked where we keep the bread and I see something- my first response was ‘huh, it’s like that cute little guy from Wall e’, but then reality set in- ‘A cockroach!! Kill it!!’ (Тараканы is cockroach in Russian) So in that week I killed about three or four and haven’t seen any since then. I was hoping by some miracle that those were the first uninvited scouts, but alas, to my utter disappointment- there are more, as I killed about 5 more last night and saw little babies!! Noooo! Our bottle of raid is now spraying mist and it’s time to restock on the ammunition. Uulkan was over last night, who is now aware of our cockroach issue, and as we talked I have found out that such things as the Orkin Man, or exterminators in general are nonexistent; which I figured. So it’s me vs. the cockroaches- We’ll see who goes first. But on the positive side, at least they are small (hopefully they stay that way), and so far, just located behind the cupboard and have not expanded to other areas. They also have a theme song- which was part of a cd we were listening to- the song by the W’s “The devil is bad”, the chorus goes-“you are the devil and the devil is bad, you are the devil and the devil is bad, you are the devil and the devil is bad, you are the devil and you are bad!!”

1 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

I just beat a cockroach to death with my broom yesterday evening. He was enormous and it took 3 tries to flush him down the toilet...sigh...I love Cameroon.

Not to mention the lizards that have invaded my house, you think that perhaps they might eat the cockroaches, but no...they just hide out in my bathtowel, waiting to drop on my feet once I am done showering.

I think this is the part where I start humming the National Geographic theme song...

9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home