To The Ends of the Earth...

Monday, February 11, 2013

Kids


 One of the things that our team here does is visit an orphanage for kids with special needs; invalids as they are referred to. There are three different buildings for the children, we visit the children in the second building. They are mobile and for the most part comprehensive. My first time there, it broke my heart. These kids are so sweet and long for attention, and some of them could easily be educated and assimilate into society. But having a child with special needs is a cultural stigma. It looks bad, neighbors will talk about it, and according to some Islamic teachings- it is a sign that you have done something wrong.

Being there reminded me of the kids I would see from the special ed class when I worked at a high school in the States. They were educated and taught job skills. I thought how lucky they are to be born there and not here. For these kids, their life is very basic, if they live to be 16-17 they move out of those dorms and into the one for adults.  

When we go, we have an activity time with them. We bring different balls and play with them. If it is nice, we go outside. I have an idea to bring some music and do some musical games/activities, my director here says that would be good; something they haven’t done before. Though not all the kids are active, some prefer to just sit around and watch what goes on. Others prefer to stay right by your side and hug and hang on to you. To see them smile and have a good time makes me smile. Then it’s time to leave and they help put the balls away and give you a last hug and wave good-bye. Until next time…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home