To The Ends of the Earth...

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Funny English

Since I've been back in Bishkek, I've been meeting up with some former English Club students- talking and catching up. It has been fun and it has been a while since some of them have practiced their English so some of the understandings have been forgotten. :)

One of the students, after hearing me use the phrase- figure out- didn't know what it meant so he looked it up. Starting with the word figure, which the dictionary defined it as someone's body figure/shape. Then adding the word out- he concluded the phrase 'figure out' meant for someone to get fatter. :) After he shared that he didn't understand what I was talking about, he asked about the phrase 'figure out', I explained what it meant and he told me what he had thought the meaning was, and then we all had a very good laugh!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home