To The Ends of the Earth...

Sunday, November 25, 2007

Disconnected

Ever be talking to someone on the phone and get disconnected? Or get booted off the internet when you’re in the middle of researching something or writing an email? Yeah- it can make you feel stranded, frustrated and wishing to get back to where you were at; to continue with what you were in the middle of doing. Sometimes I feel disconnected. I talk with people from home and they tell me all that is going on; what’s new in their life, what they’ve been up to, etc. Then the operator comes on and interrupts: something I used to be doing, my life and relationships I had, have been disconnected. I am no longer a part of the same things. I am on another line altogether. It’s a weird feeling. To think that my life and that of others back home are now running in two different directions. So much has changed, it is like living in a parallel universe. Life there continues without me. Life here continues without them. Though it makes me realize how blessed I was with such friends back home, and how I miss not having such friends here. The disconnect from home becomes more and more evident and it makes me sad to think that I am not a part of their lives anymore. I have different kids calling me ‘aunt’ Mindy- tatya Meendy or Meendy Jeh; and my nephews and neice are half a world away and I miss being involved in their lives. But at the same time, I am so glad to be here and integrating into a new culture and lifestyle! Making new friends and becoming a part of a broader family. I guess it’s all part of the process. The cost. Life is but a wink of an eye, so really, there is nothing that is too great a cost, too painful, or too difficult that can even compare with the glory that awaits. With all this being said, please don’t think that I’d rather not talk to people back home- by all means I love to hear what is going on!!! I just wanted to share as I process these new thoughts and feelings. Thanks for listening….. errr…reading.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home