To The Ends of the Earth...

Saturday, September 22, 2007

Naaaahhhtional Drink!

Earlier I told you about ‘Шоро’ (Shoro), the Kyrgyz drink that was like a Chuck Norris powerhouse kick in the mouth. I can now drink a whole cup rather quickly and without making a face! Well, I have now experienced ‘Kymiez’ THE national drink- fermented horse milk…yes, horse milk. It is another one that is hard to put a description to the taste, but to help you out here it goes- it is like drinkable, smoked cheese, with the hint of beer (the fermentation, but non-alcoholic, I guess). The smell, well, as only fermented horse milk might smell like- you can use your imagination on this one. My reaction…to my surprise, I wasn’t appauled, I actually asked for seconds. It is ok in small portions and good to drink it at a pace. Though, out of curiosity, I did try mixing in a little strawberry Nesquick, when I only had a couple of sips left, and well, I would not advise such a combination! It was horrible!! It is better on its own. After my first taste, and my unexplained desire for seconds, my friend Ira, whom recently returned from Narin (near Issyk-Kol) brought me a whole bottle of ‘Kymiez’! It is almost gone, but I have been a good host in offering it to guests to share in as well. It is definitely something you need to build up a taste for! I only wish there was not so many restrictions on liquids going through the airports….oh well….your loss.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home