To The Ends of the Earth...

Thursday, June 28, 2007

English Club Part I

During our 4 week English course, there is a time for beginners and a time for intermediates and after that is the conversation club, for the advanced and intermediate students which I help do. Each evening we have a different topic to talk about and activities, and on Thursday we watch a movie in English, and on Friday, we have an American style party. The first movie we watched was Charlie and the Chocolate Factory with Johnny Depp. I love that movie! I think it is hilarious! They liked it too! Afterwards, I explained some of the phrases and idioms that are used throughout the movie, and there are quite a lot in that movie! The next night for our party, we had pizza and it was game night! We played Guesstures! It was a lot of fun!! They did a great job of acting and guessing! Last week, I decided to introduce them to one of the all time classic movies- The Princess Bride! I can say it is one of my favorites, but when you are watching a movie and considering the audience that will be viewing it, it is sometimes hard to know how they will react to it: Will they ‘get’ the funny stuff? Will they think it is interesting? To my relief, they really enjoyed it! But then again, who wouldn't enjoy the Princess Bride? That would be "Inconceivable"!! :) The next day’s party was about food! I made brownies, and brought in marshmallows and some of the candies that I received from home- Shock Tarts, SweetTarts, etc. They really enjoyed the brownies, and afterwards, some of them wanted the recipe. But I was too embarrassed to say it was from a box mix and not from scratch. Oh well. I will let you know how the next two weeks go. It is getting harder to do something even better than the week before, but I think this week’s party is going to be the best one yet! I am making a Pinyata! I hope it holds up long enough that most everyone has a chance to try to hit it!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home