To The Ends of the Earth...

Saturday, June 02, 2007

Kids will be Kids

There is a girl from our English club on Friday, who goes to a nearby high school and she had asked me if I would be interested in going and talking with her class, and I said “yes”. I had spoken in two university classes already and they went pretty good. After club she took me to her school, which is not far from there, and I met the principle and she said I could come on the following Monday. Well, Monday came and I went to the school, but I had no idea where Kristina was, so I just walked around a little bit. The hallways were just wide enough to maybe fit two people side by side. Then I heard a bell ring, and it was for a break time, which was good because I met her walking down the hall. She took me to her class, and there were some students there, but no teacher. So I started talking with the kids and telling them a little bit about myself and answering some questions about me and the US. One girl was very inquisitive if we had a lot of beautiful boys, or if I had a beautiful boyfriend, or a beautiful brother. I told her she had a one-track mind. :) So then, the bell rings and in walks their teacher, who is a guy, and whom they feel it is necessary to tell him the real important stuff they had just found out about me, like- that I am 27, I am not married, and insinuating that I am available for him to ask me out. That was a little embarrassing. Yeah. Youth, they can be kinda funny sometimes, and usually unpredictable. So I talked with them for the rest of the class time. It was different than at the university classes, I had to actually work at finding something to talk about. They did ask some questions but their attention span was, well, was that of teenagers. I don’t know why I was so surprised. Anyway, afterwards, I went back to meet the principle and she said I could come back in September and work there if I wanted. Which, through some other connections, it looks like I’ll be helping out once a week, speaking and helping the class practice their English by discussing different topics, that they want to talk about, or I plan ahead of time. I am pretty excited about it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home