To The Ends of the Earth...

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

The Kyrgyz Bunch

Here’s the story of two lovely ladies, who are serving in the country of Kyrgyzstan,
Lisa is serving in Tallas with the Peace Corps, and I am here in Bishkek.

So how did this girl from California, happen to meet this girl from New York?
They were strangers until this summer, united by Kyrgyzstan.

At a training I sat by a guy named Derrick, and as I shared where I was going,
He said I have a friend who’s there with the Peace Corps,
And that’s the way that we became to meet in Bishkek!
In Bishkek! In Bishkek! Yes that’s the way we became to meet in Bishkek!

For those of you who do not like the Brady Bunch or are having a hard time remembering the opening song, or are having a hard time making my lyrics fit the tune, here is the same story in plain written English…..

Today, Thursday, was a good day, because today I finally met Lisa. She has been here in Kyrgyzstan for over a year working with the Peace Corps in Tallas. We got acquainted over email this past year and she was very helpful about answering my questions and sharing about her experiences in Kyrgyzstan before I arrived. So I was excited to hear that she would be passing through Bishkek and so we made plans to meet. We met at the Philharmonia and headed to dinner at the METRO. The Metro is a restaurant which mainly serves American style food. So it was a very agreeable place to go and eat! We had a good time talking and got to know a little bit more about each other and our experiences here. Plus, we each had a cheeseburger and fries! Yum! Unfortunately her term with the Peace Corps ends this year but I hope to go and visit her this summer out in Tallas, before she heads back to the States. It is pretty interesting how we got connected. At one of my trainings this summer out in Indiana, I sat at a random table for lunch, I didn’t know anyone at the table, it’s good to meet people that way and hear about their ministries. So we were all sharing about where and what we were doing with YFC and when I had mentioned that I was going to Kyrgyzstan, one of the guys at the table said the he had a friend in the PC in Kyrgyzstan. Then he introduced Lisa and I via email and that’s the way we got to know each other, and so it was nice to finally meet face to face!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home